Thursday, July 2, 2009

Sarah Rosado

What's up let everybody know your name and what you do?
My name is Sarah Rosado. I am a Freelance Photographer and an Artist.

How did you get started? Did you start doodling at a young age and it just stuck or was there a different artistic trajectory for you?
I come from a family with artistic abilities. My father was a musician, my aunt, uncle, cousins
are also artists. At a very young age I developed a knack for drawing. I was the only child among my other siblings who always decorated my notebook with drawings and even in class I was always doodling on what ever I could get my hands on. It sometimes got me in trouble. However, as I grew older, my desire to draw increased. My goal is to exhibit my Art at a Gallery where people can have the opportunity to view my work and where I can earn a living from it.

If a random person were to open your sketchbook, what drawing would be most puzzling to them?
About a year ago, I started adding dimension to my work, such as identical reflections on mirrors within the art and also objects that can be viewed from different angles. This, I would say, would be most puzzling to a random person who views my work.

What’s the greatest compliment anyone’s ever paid you and your work?
The greatest compliment that I have received about my work ha
s been how much detail and expression my art has. It's as if each picture has it's own story to tell.

What’s your preferred medium? What best suits you?
Since I am also a photographer I take many pictures of different objects in pa
rks, shopping malls or any other place where there are many different people and activities. Usually, I use these pictures as a medium for the scenario of my drawing, but not always; other times it could be something I saw on television or the internet. What best suits me, is a quiet, peaceful environment. I have a room that I use only when I am drawing for that purpose.

Do you listen to music while you work? If so, what music moves you?
Honestly, I do not listen to music while I work. I feel that it distracts my concentration. While working I prefer a silent room where I can focus all my attention on what I am doing.

What challenges you as an artist?
There are many challenges out there with all kinds of exceptional artists and when I look at their work, I get motivated to do better. However, I don't believe that the challenge is a question about who's work is better, since each artist has their own unique style, the challenge would be which style of art is preferred by the people that view it.

What’s the longest time you’ve spent on a single piece? Have you ever begun something and had to walk away from it and come back again later? Have you ever abandoned something all together, never to return?
Usually, it takes me an entire da
y, without interruption, to finish my piece. However, if the drawing requires more detail I usually come back to it later. However, I don't normally like to do that because it interferes with the inspiration aspect of it. I feel that when I walk away and come back later to any of my drawings it is not the same final result as if I sat and finished the product continuously.
Is there a reason in particular that you draw lots of characters?
My choice of drawing lots of different characters is actually inspired by the many different life forms on this planet, whether it's a small odd looking insect or the many different faces of people from different cultures.
"Bugs Bunny is a wise smarty pants who could definitely outsmart poor ole Wile E. His inventions are ingenious but careless. That is his flaw."

What are your plans for the near future?
At this time, I am focusing on getting my work exposed in the public eye. Hopefully, in the near future, I plan to open my own business.

Outside of Art and all the other stuff on your plate, what other things are keeping you excited day-to-day? Any hobbies?
Outside of Art, what keeps me exited on a day to day basis is time spent decorating my home, creating a new recipe and/or volunteering a few hours a week at homeless shelters.
Also, I love to spend time listening to soft rock music.

Is there a project you’ve worked on that stands out for you the most, whether it offered you the most creative freedom, was a character you had always wanted to work on, or for any other reason really? What made it memorable?

As an adult, I love cartoons and I'm not ashamed to admit it. My favorite are the characters of the Looney Tunes; such as Wile E. Coyote, Road Runner, Bugs Bunny and Tweety Bird.
A specific project that I worked on that I find gave me the most creative freedom was when I created my own cartoon character by merging certain attributes of all my favorite looney tunes characters and merging them into one. The end result was memorable. Everyone in my family loved it. I also got compliments from friends who even suggested that I should create my own cartoon strip for the newspapers.

Is there a medium that you want to experiment in that you haven’t been able to get around to yet? How do you see your work evolving in the future? Is it planned or pretty much fly by the seat of your pants?
Yes, actually, I am interested in experimenting with oil painting on canvass, although I haven't been able to get around to it yet. It is an interest that I developed after viewing the work of other Artists. There are no solid plans at this time, for that type of work. It is pretty much fly by the seat of my pants type of interest. However, if it does evolve in the future, you will be the first to know.

A lot of artists cite their geography as a huge influence on their work, guys like Adrian Tomine or Chris Ware’s work more or less epitomizes the places where they live, whereas some artists seem hesitant to let it come through, where do you see yourself when it comes to this sort of thing, is it relevant to you?
Absolutely, all this is relevant to me. Art is a form of expression. Whether through dancing or drawing. We as Artists, bring out our innermost feelings through Art. That is why many Artist's work is highly influenced by their environment and life experiences. However, those hesitant to let it come through are tied down by their fears of reliving whatever bad experiences they have had in the past and instead o
pt to create opposite scenarios when creating their Art work.

Are there any fellow artists that you admire, or who would love to work with?
Yes, there is this artist, who goes by the name of Juicy J., whose work I truly admire. His work involves; Cartooning, Illustration and Sketching. But I especially love his sketch work. I would love to work with him on a project where both our skills can be combined to create a masterpiece, if I may.

"Honestly, I do not listen to music while I work. I feel that it distracts my concentration. While working I prefer a silent room where I can focus all my attention on what I am doing."
So you create recipes? You got to share one with us and the readers.
I will share 1 quick recipe that I usually do for desert, I call it candy walnut.
In a flat sauce pan, put 3 table soup of domino sugar and stir until it turns brown, than you take half of pound of walnut, and throw it inside the sugar and then you mix it all up under the high heat until it turns into a caramel. Then turn off, let cool and presto!. You got yourself a nice little batch of caramel candy.

Who would win in a fight between Bugs Bunny and Wile E.?(lol)
In the real world, a coyote could beat a rabbit hands down, but in a cartoon perspective, I would have to say that Bugs Bunny would win a fight against Wile E. Why? Bugs Bunny is a wise smarty pants who could definitely outsmart poor ole Wile E. His inventions are ingeni
ous but careless. That is his flaw.
So will we be seeing a cartoon strip by you in the future?
I love the idea. At this time I am working on creating different types of characters, when I have enough that I feel comfortable with, I will definitely look into creating a comic strip in the future.
What are your favorite soft rock albums and why?
my favorite soft rock albums are U2 (No Line On The Horizon) and Coldplay (Viva la Vida). The reason why these albums are my favorite is because I can relate to t
he meaning of the lyrics and the sound is very relaxing.

When did you get your “big break?”

I can't say that I have gotten my "big break" yet, but I am working on it. I'm meeting so many other Artists where we can look at each others work and comment on it. I would have to say that being featured on your site is my "big break".

What is your most recent work of art?
I haven't been working on any new artwork yet because i'm trying to master the adobe illustration cs3 so that I can do a little more artwork using computer graphics.
Did you have any formal art training? If so, where and how has it benefited your artistic ability?
No, I have never had any formal training. Whatever I know, I learned on my own. It would be nice, however, to get formal training in the areas of my interest; such as, canvassing, sketching and cartooning so that I can enhance my skills.

Any last words?
I want to thank you for allowing me the opportunity to conduct this interview and for allowing me to share my experiences as an Artist with you and the public. For those that wanna see more of my work, check me out on myspace www.myspace.com/sara_artwork_


No comments: